Frequently Asked Questions
Products & Services
Online export support is included in Platinum and Diamond packages, and those students with Weekly Classes. Students with these packages can request help with any specific question or resource on the MedEntry platform and an expert online tutor will respond. This allows students to obtain expert help with difficult UCAT questions and concepts, which is invaluable for learning.
You will be given access to your materials as soon as payment is confirmed. If you are paying by credit/debit card, you can expect to gain access immediately. If you are paying by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or Bank Draft, you will normally gain access within five working days (depending on how quickly payment is received), to allow time for processing.
You can preview the types of questions you will be receiving by viewing our Sample Questions page.
Try our online platform absolutely free and get access to the following (no obligation for purchase) by clicking 'Enrol' in the top right of this page:
- A full-length Practice Exam which you can access for free. It is run on the same testing platform that all our practice drills and exams use.
- Solutions for the Sample questions.
- Limited access to MedEntry's exclusive skills trainers.
- Limited access to MedEntry's interactive video guides.
- MedEntry's comprehensive Medical Entry handbook. 120+ pages of expertly crafted content to guide you through the whole medical entry process.
- MedEntry's 2-hour UCAT Bootcamp video, that guides you through UCAT, medical interviews and the admissions process.
MedEntry's online resources are delivered via the Online Learning Platform (OLP), which uses the latest learning technology tailored to the UCAT. The OLP is far superior to printed 'booklets'.
There are a number of reasons why MedEntry chooses to provide preparation materials via an online based system:
- UCAT is a computer-based test. It is essential that students practice using the UCAT platform and become comfortable with the various functions and keyboard shortcuts before the test. Doing so will improve confidence, reduce stress, and increase the speed with which you are able to answer UCAT questions. All of MedEntry's exams and practice questions are delivered via an online platform that exactly replicates the live UCAT.
- Online learning enables MedEntry to provide students with video guides, video solutions, dynamic feedback, forums and many other learning resources which would not be available if materials were distributed as hard copies. Students find these services very useful - for example, the online forums allow students to engage in discussions and learn actively.
- There is well over ten thousand pages of material on the OLP. Printing and sending this out to all of our students would be very expensive and would mean we would have to raise the prices of the packages substantially - something we don't want to do. Electronic rather than paper delivery is also planet-friendly and saves millions of trees.
- There are numerous other benefits of an online system as opposed to hard copy material. For example, after completing a test, you can view the proportion of students who chose different options for each question, and the proportion of students who chose the option that you did (presented in a bar graph). Having data on the % of students choosing each option is very useful: for example you not only need to know the right ways of reasoning but possible wrong ways of reasoning; if a high proportion of students choose an option which is incorrect, you need to think about what errors in reasoning they would have made to arrive at that option. You will also gain a better indication of your strengths and weaknesses in various types of questions and understand the types of questions other students find difficult. You will also be able to see the time taken by other students to complete each question compared to you, which will help you refine your timing strategy. Such interactive, real-time information is impossible with hard copy material.
- MedEntry’s Learning Management System allows you to access your products immediately (as soon as payment is received). There is no need to wait for your materials to arrive by post.
- MedEntry’s system allows you to access your products anytime, anywhere and any place in the world with an internet connection. You can access the resources via a desktop PC, a laptop, a smartphone or a tablet. Further, your UCAT Prep materials cannot be misplaced or lost as hard copy materials can.
- The dynamic nature of the online system means that we are able to provide updates expeditiously and throughout the year. Changes to the preparation material are made to reflect the latest changes in UCAT. This would not be possible if the materials were paper-based. It's no wonder that MedEntry was voted as the program which best simulates UCAT.
- MedEntry's online learning uses the most advanced 21st century technology. Most reputable universities are now moving to this medium since there are several advantages. A meta-analysis published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (10 September 2008) found internet-based learning was associated with large positive effect. "Internet based education permits learners to participate at a time and a place convenient to them, facilitates instructional methods that might be difficult in other formats, and has the potential to tailor instructions to individual learners' needs," the authors said. Virtually all medical school courses at all universities are now ‘Online’, so there is no need to attend the classes every week and only a small minority do!
You will not be able to print the materials and practice exams on the OLP for copyright reasons. There has been significant breaches of copyright law (see item under News), and hence we have been compelled to make our materials unprintable.
Furthermore, as UCAT is a computer-based test, it is important that students get used to completing exams on computer. Answering questions in hardcopy is a very different experience.
In addition, the ability to print exams would make UCAT feedback, including percentile rankings, unreliable.
You can attempt each practice exam only once, to ensure feedback provided is reliable and accurate. However, you can re-attempt questions you answered incorrectly up to four times. Also, you can review all questions, answers and worked solutions as many times as you wish.
You can attempt all drills, practice questions and other resources as many times as you like.
You can enrol in MedEntry at any time, and in any year of schooling or university. Your enrolment is valid from the date that payment is made until your UCAT testing date (please see 'How long do I have access to the OLP for?' for more information).
Note that the earlier you enrol, the earlier you gain access to all your materials and longer you will be able to prepare. Earlier enrolment also gives you greater choice of workshop dates.
However, if you are focussed and willing to work hard, you can improve your performance in the UCAT even if you enrol in MedEntry's UCAT preparation package very close to the UCAT test period.
The UCAT Consortium do however have conditions on who is able to sit UCAT. Students must be in their final year of schooling or after to be able to sit the exam.
If you are a student who is not sitting UCAT in the upcoming testing cycle, and you would like access to UCAT resources for multiple years, please visit our UCAT Headstart packages page to obtain discounted, extended access all the way up until your UCAT test.
If you purchase a standard UCAT package (i.e. not through the link above), you will have unlimited access to the OLP until the end of of the next UCAT testing window (October each year). At this time, access to the UCAT resources will be suspended. You will continue to have access to the Interview and University Admissions resources until after the admissions process is completed.
The MedEntry Team has extensive interview expertise and knowledge of the types of questions likely to arise at each university, which we use to provide you with focussed training.
Our interview guide comes with all of our packages, or can be purchased separately. It is packed with information on interview technique, common themes in health science interviews and how to tackle specific questions that will be asked.
MedEntry also offers Virtual Interview Training. This service offers personalised interview coaching from an experienced tutor and mentor. It includes five one hour sessions to help hone your interview skills.
- Good services are seldom cheap, and cheap services are seldom good
- Many people think the packages are a bargain for what you receive – access to numerous and valuable resources which not only help with UCAT, but develop important life skills. Compare this to universities, which charge annual tuition fees of over £9000 .
- High level of expenses (e.g. website/OLP hosting, IT & Legal costs, researchers, consultants, intellectual property, staff salaries, costs for scholarships/prizes, accreditation and other regulatory expenses, fixed and variable costs)
- Writing high quality questions that accurately simulate UCAT is a difficult and expensive process. In fact, studies performed by aptitude testing centres have shown that writing just one item (question) costs an average of £1600!
- When you consider potential savings (for a full fee place or lost career as a health professional, which you cannot put a price on), the cost of our services is negligible. Please note that GAMSAT courses are at least triple these prices!
- Other benefits of UCAT preparation include enhanced study and higher order thinking skills, improved A-Level/GCSE/GPA scores, and the development of generic skills (critical thinking, problem solving, logical and abstract reasoning, interpersonal skills etc.) which are invaluable for high school, tertiary study and throughout your life.
Please note that MedEntry offers several scholarships for students.
The best way to access the OLP from your phone is to use the new MedEntry Smartphone App, compatible with all iOS and android devices.
Through the app you will be able to access all the drills, guides and forums found on the OLP.
In order for your OLP progress to sync between the app and the desktop OLP, please launch the OLP through your browser first and accept our terms and conditions.
Unlike other UCAT companies, MedEntry offers personalisation in Teaching and Learning. That is, our preparation is highly personalised.
Other companies do not personalise or if they do, they do so only in teaching or learning, but not both.
MedEntry's UCAT training is "Preparation made personal":
- In learning by personalising the online learning platform, which uses artificial intelligence to target your weaknesses.
- In teaching via small classes in our workshops, weekly classes, and one-one tutoring (offered face to face and virtually).
Personalised UCAT tutoring is included in the Diamond package. It can also be added on to the Online and Platinum packages. 10 hours of one on one tutoring is included.
Further UCAT tuition sessions can be arranged at additional cost. UCAT tutors will also be available for support via phone and email between sessions. UCAT tutoring is conducted online. The exact timing of the UCAT tutoring is negotiable between you and your UCAT tutor. All UCAT tutors have performed exceptionally well in UCAT, interviews and school. Personalised UCAT tutoring is available across the UK and the world.